Welcome to my spartan corner of the web. I'm a software engineer and writer living in New York City. You can reach me at tynanburke -at- gmail.
I'm a full-stack engineer with an emphasis on the server side. I also enjoy working on event-based systems and anything that's an explicit state machine. These days I'm mostly working with TypeScript and Ruby applications, served via Google Cloud Platform. During downtime I enjoy producing better tooling, improving CI setups, and keeping up with emerging tech.
I'm on GitHub as thearchduke, and here's my LinkedIn profile.
- "The Unlucky Few Who Must Not Cast", August 2021. An arcanist is forced to attend a twelve-step meeting for magic dependence. Available free online.
- "The Bagel Shop Owner's Nephew", August 2018. Yonatan Kaplan deals with a troublesome prophet. Available free online, and as part of the (excellent) Metaphorosis Best of 2018 anthology.
- "A Brief Pause Between Floods", February 2020. A young woman deals with thieves and a monk during an important test. Available free online.
- Reading 5X5 x2: Duets, Verdage Press, 2020. I have five stories in this collection, which sat for a week at #2 on the Kindle new sci-fi anthologies list:
- "Sudden Oak Death". In a habitat orbiting Enceladus, an arborist's prize trees fall ill.
- "Infernal® Policies and Procedures Have Changed", with Douglas Anstruther. An ancient general makes a surprising discovery while working for Lucifer.
- "Boro Boro", with Evan Marcroft. Central California coastal horror.
- "Project Blackbook", with David Gallay. Excerpt from the congressional report about a disastrous decision made by a Silicon Valley company.
- "The Relic", with L'Erin Ogle. Slowly dying on an alien spaceship, alone but for the voices in your head.